Observed on 14 November the World diabetes day, is celebrated on the birthday of Frederick Banting, who worked with Charles Best to discover insulin in the year 1921. This day was first introduced in 1991, basically to raise awareness among people about diabetes, its causes, prevention and the devastating effects it has on human lives.
Earlier, diabetes was known to be a disease of the elderly, with a sweet tooth. While now with the urban lifestyle moving away from health and fitness, it’s common to see younger generations getting into the trap of this complex disease. Basically, there are three prominent types of Diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes is when the pancreas produces no or either very little, insulin to be released into the body. This type generally develops in childhood or adolescence, or also in adulthood when the sugar builds up in the blood instead of being used as energy. Type 1 diabetes is always treated with insulin. Meal planning also helps with keeping blood sugar at the right levels.
Type 2 diabetes also, known as insulin insensitive diabetes occurs mainly in adults when the body does not make enough insulin or can’t properly use the insulin that is released. About 90 percent of people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes. Depending on the severity of type 2 diabetes, it can be managed through physical activity and meal planning, or may also require medications and /or insulin to control blood sugar more effectively.
Type 3 diabetes, Gestational diabetes is quite rare as it is a temporary condition that occurs during pregnancy. This type generally involves increased risk of diabetes developing among both the mother and child.
There are many signs and symptoms that can indicate diabetes. Unusual thirst, frequent urination, Weight change gain or loss, extreme fatigue or lack of energy, blurred vision, frequent or recurring infections, cuts and bruises that are slow to heal, tingling or numbness in the hands or feet. If you feel any of these symptoms, it is important to get diagnosed as early as possible. Even if you don’t have symptoms, and you are 40 or older, you should still get checked as many people who have type 2 diabetes may display no symptoms.
There are a lot many complications related to diabetes. Having high blood sugar can cause diabetes-related complications, like chronic kidney disease, foot problems, non-traumatic lower limb like a leg, foot, toe, etc. amputation, eye disease (retinopathy) that can lead to blindness, heart attack, stroke, anxiety, nerve damage, and erectile dysfunction among men. Properly managing blood sugar levels reduces the risk of developing these complications and lead a healthy and disease-free life.
Each year on World Diabetes Day a new theme is chosen by the International Diabetes Federation to address issues facing the global diabetes community. Topics covered have included diabetes and human rights, diabetes and lifestyle, diabetes and obesity, diabetes in the disadvantaged and the vulnerable, diabetes in children and adolescents. While this 2016, the theme is “Eyes on Diabetes” where in activities will focus on promoting the importance of screening to ensure early diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and treatment to reduce the risk of this serious complications.
Since the majority of people with diabetes today live in urban areas, so it’s advisable to take the test immediately and save yourself and your family members from this serious and life-threatening complications.
Rejuvenate with Aloe Vera’s magic
Aloe Vera needs no introduction. This incredible plant medicinal plant full of nutritional benefits has earned a permanent place in many an application from beauty creams, healthy juices, smoothies or diet supplements. It is a succulent plant and part of the lily family (Liliaceae). It has both internal and external applications thus, acting as a safe and natural healer when applied or consumed orally. Aloe Vera contains over 200 active components including vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, polysaccharide, and fatty acids. No wonder that it is beneficial in all applications.
Benefits of Aloe Vera for skin
Aloe Vera is one of the primary compounds used in the cosmetic industry. Aloe Vera soap and gel are good for the skin and nourish your skin from within, giving your skin a healthy glow. It is packed with several nutrients like glycerin, sodium palmate, sodium carbonate, sodium palm kemelate, sorbitol, etc.
- Prevents early signs of aging: Wrinkles and fine lines appear as you age. Aloe Vera helps in preventing these early signs of aging. As your skin ages, it tends to get drier and loses its elasticity. This makes it more susceptible to wrinkles and fine lines. Aloe moisturizes the skin, and it also helps remove dead cells. In fact, research has proven that Aloe Vera improves the elasticity of skin and makes it smoother and suppler. You can use it as a moisturizer to hydrate it without making it greasy.
- Reduces stretch marks: With the passing of age, skin expands and contracts during pregnancy or due to rapid weight gain. The elasticity of the skin gets damaged, which results in ugly stretch marks. These marks can be healed with the regular use of Aloe Vera.
- Heals acne: Aloe Vera has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties because of the presence of gibberellins and auxins. This helps reduce your acne. It also contains polysaccharides that stimulate the growth of new cells. This speeds up the healing process for acne and prevents scarring.
- Cures sun burnt skin: Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it can be applied directly on the sunburnt area. It acts on the epithelial skin layer and provides a protective layer to the skin for retaining moisture. This aids in faster healing.
- Heals External Wounds And Insect Bites: Due to its medicinal properties it is great to treat wounds, bug bites or insect bites. Aloe acts to help relieve the pain of wounds and provides relieves from itching. Aloe Vera is an astringent which causes the contraction of body tissues, basically used to reduce bleeding from minor injuries.
Benefits of Aloe Vera for Health
- You can detoxify the body and reduce inflammation with Aloe Vera juice. One of the causes of inflammation is oxidative damage, which is caused due to the free radicals in your body that damage your cells. Aloe Vera is rich in antioxidants. These antioxidants bind with the free radicals and help manage the inflammation.
- Aloe vera juice treats gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD causes symptoms such as heartburn, chest pain, and trouble with swallowing, and aloe juice is an effective cure. Drink it early in the morning on an empty stomach improves digestion and cures stomach troubles. Aloe Vera has anti-inflammatory properties which soothe the stomach lining and the oesophagus. It also helps fight against pathogens that cause gastrointestinal problems, including bloating and discomfort.
- Helps in treating piles. Its anti-inflammatory properties diminish inflammations inside and out and help in alleviating bowel irregularities and intestinal problems. It makes stool soft and easy to pass. Anthraquinones, one of Aloe Vera’s key ingredients, help in stimulating contractions on the walls of the digestive tract.
Benefits of Aloe Vera For Hair
- Aloe Vera has a chemical similar to that of keratin that rejuvenates the hair with its nutrients, giving hairs more elasticity and preventing breakage. Application of Aloe Vera powder can help promote hair growth. It can work wonders for dandruff and itchy scalp. Aloe helps in maintaining the pH balance of your hair.
As it is moisturizing in nature, it strengthens and promotes healthier hair.
Rejuvenate your entire system with Aloe Vera.
How to Naturally Ease the menstrual pain ?
Menstrual pain is a common thing among teenagers and adults. It is caused due to the shedding of the inner lining of the uterine wall. However, there are many ways to tackling the problem in a more natural way. Dr. Shobha Gupta, Medical Director, Gynecologist and IVF specialist from Mother’s Lap IVF Centre tells you the ways to combat it naturally.
Try light exercise– Exercise during your periods is more than just required. If your body is active then the lesser pain will be felt. Mild exercise is a must. You can simply walk around or use the treadmill for this purpose. These simple exercises will help increase the flow of blood.
Rich diet is a must – There are certain foods that can help ease menstrual pain and discomfort. Eat a lot of whole grains like brown rice or pasta. Also include lots of fruits, milk and green leafy vegetables as it helps to ease the flow during menstruation. You must include vitamin D3 (cheese, egg yolks and fish are the richest sources of Vitamin D3) in your diet. Especially if you live is a colder climate where sunlight is reduced during the winter season.
Stay hydrated all through the day: Drink lemon water every morning after you wake up. This will have an alkalizing effect on the body and keep the body hydrated and mineralized. You can also have green tea it has amazing stress relieving properties and makes you energized and light all the day.
5.Hot showers or hot bags– Use either hot water bag or ice bag whatsoever suits your body. Hot compress is more ideal as it can give you immediate results to ease the pain. If it doesn’t seem to work then use ice packs instead. You can also have a hot water bath concentrate on the flow of water on your abdomen and back.
Massage during- periods gives your body a relaxing feel. Try and do some gentle upwards motions on your lower abdominal area. Repeat the steps 7-8 times.
Wear comfort clothes– Try and avoid tight fitted clothes especially around your waist. They only hurt your stomach and further cause discomfort.
Take adequate sleep – Just relax and have enough sleep of 7-8 hours usually as it will help restore the reproductive system and reduces stress. Lack of sleep can disrupt your cycle.
However, if you experience unbearable pain which you never felt before, do take it seriously then. Do visit a specialist to rule out any cause such as Endometriosis, Fibroids, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS/PCOD), Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Premenstrual Syndrome.
Inputs by Dr.Shobha Gupta
Enjoy your breakfast with GAIA Muesli Real Fruit
We often talk about healthy food and healthy lifestyle but it’s the time to bring that talk into action by starting the day with a healthy meal. GAIA, a brand that offers an amazing range of healthy food to add to your routine, has brought to you GAIA Muesli Real Fruit.
This delicious and crunchy GAIA Muesli comes with little surprises in it like your favorite fruits papaya, apple, and pineapple with raisins and healthy muti-grains that include Oats, wheat flakes, and corn flakes. It is the perfect dose of protein and Iron in every bite from the bowl. The goodness of fiber and the vitamins from fruit chunks will keep your body healthy and energized.
As we talk about the taste of GAIA Muesli, it has an amazing real fruit taste in the chunks and the flakes are very crunchy to eat with milk or yogurt. It’s an absolute guilt-free meal that gives an amazing taste to make your breakfast interesting.
With Zero cholesterol and Zero trans fat, you can enjoy this meal by blending it in your favorite smoothie or make it a topping of your favorite frozen yogurt flavor. It is surely a healthy deal of everyday need.
Soothe your taste buds with GAIA Green Tea Assorted
Whether hot or iced, Green tea lovers now have an excuse to gulp an extra cup of their favourite beverage as GAIA Green tea comes in amazing flavours. It’s aromatic and soothing taste will surely amuse you and will help you to relax.
As reviewed by Buzzsouk, GAIA Green Tea Assorted is very special on its own as it contains tea bags of all the flavours of GAIA Green Tea (5 each). These flavours are so rich that you won’t miss any of the flavours with the flavour of green tea. Each flavour is subtly informed to the taste buds by leaving a refreshing impact in the mouth. If you are looking up to get back on a healthy beverage wagon, this is really an amazing excuse. Flavours like Tulsi, Ginger, lemon, mint, chamomile, lemon+honey and Jasmine have a strong essence along with green tea.
For the people who tasted the bitter green tea and have stopped consuming now, should try GAIA Green Tea. The flavours will woo your taste buds but if GAIA Green Tea is not brewed properly for 2-3 minutes it will taste bitter. There is just a simple method, heat the water up to 80 degrees and let the tea bag brew in the cup for next 2 minutes, take a sip and chillax.
Apart from its flavours, GAIA green tea is really an effective health drink as it has the essential antioxidants that improve digestion and increase the metabolism of the body. Its qualities not only control your increasing weight but also help in fighting stress and fatigue.
GAIA as a brand has introduced the benefits of nature’s everyday miracles through its amazing range of products. The nutritional supplements or natural food substitutes have all the essential qualities a body need. Be it Muesli or Granola Bar or healthy cookies, GAIA has been able to make its presence felt in a very short period.
Marriott on Wheels
If you have been missing out on some of your favourite dishes amidst these unprecedented times, worry no more Marriott...
Somy Ali says her favourite Bollywood actors who’re excellent dancer are Madhuri Dixit Nene and Shah Rukh Khan
On World Dance Day today, actor-turned-humanitarian Somy Ali recalls her tryst with the art form during her stint in Bollywood....
Rasika Dugal spotted wearing Vedika
Rasika Dugal spotted wearing Vedika M’s Hand brush painted one shoulder draped dress in deep blue, black & white with a belt for...
Chahat From Qurbaan Hua Latest Updates
Pratibha Ranta’s portrayal of good-hearted and honest Chahat Baig Dhyani in the ongoing fiction Qurbaan Hua has touched the right...